Coming across a heroic news story on a Monday is the precursor to a great week.
According to Fox 2 Detroit, Ray Lucas of Eastpointe, Michigan, saved his twin 18-month-old girls from his family’s burning house.
Ray and his girlfriend, Shi’Ann Brown, ran to the corner gas station early Saturday morning, July 17, 2021, for about 15 minutes or so. By the time they arrived back home, the house that they share with Ray’s mom, niece, and their twin daughters was on fire. His mom and niece did escape, but his daughters (Milan and Malaysia) were still inside asleep in the basement. Ray, without hesitation, jumped into action.
He gives the following recount of the story:
“The house was engulfed in smoke, I saw my mom and my niece were standing at the door and they were frantic.”
“I just knew I had to get my babies out. That’s what went through my mind.”
“You really couldn’t see your hand in front of your face – I really only found my babies due to my memory, just knowing where they were and knowing how to get to them – just from having that same route.”
All three made it out but spent some time in the hospital. Malaysia was left with severe burns, Milan suffered from smoke inhalation, and Ray acquired second & third-degree burns to his face, neck, eyes, and arms; he also suffered from smoke inhalation.
The family’s house was completely destroyed, Ray is unable to work right now due to injuries, and their medical bills continue to pile up. So if you would like to donate to the family’s GoFundMe, click here.
Much respect to Ray Lucas, and I wish his family a speedy recovery.
Until Next Time…
Photo Credit: The Washington Post
Video Source: Fox 2 Detroit
Golston, H., & Komer, D. (2021, July 23). Man saves twin girls from house fire, but family loses everything. Fox 2 Detroit. https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/detroit-man-saves-twin-girls-from-house-fire-but-family-loses-everything.